This post contains independently chosen affiliate links. See full affiliate disclosure.
Album: Bus Stop (Imperial)
Written by Graham Gouldman, the opening lyrics of Bus Stop, are “Bus stop, wet day, she’s there, I say please share my umbrella.”
The Hollies, however, were co-founded by another famous Graham, Graham Nash, of Crosby, Stills and Nash, along with his friend Alan Clarke, who became the lead singer (for most of the songs).
This may remind you of the Police song, Don’t Stand So Close to Me lyrics “Wet bus stop, she’s waiting,” but keep in mind that bus stops feature in many songs, along with busses in general. So, hop on the bus, Gus.
The two “Grahams” involved cause many people to mistakenly attribute Bus Stop to Graham Nash, and understandable mistake. Nash did name it as his favorite song from the band. Graham Gouldman went on to form his own group, 10cc.
Bus Stop by the Hollies, however, is one of the most memorable rock songs ever written. Graham Goldman, who wrote the song with the help of his father Hyme Gouldman, who wrote the opening lyrics, had already written hit songs for Herman’s Hermits and the Yardbirds. Bus Stop was the first hit for the Hollies in both the U.K. and America.
Other hit singles for the Hollies were On a Carousel, Carrie Ann, and He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother, and Look Though Any Window, also written by Graham Gouldman.
Most of their hit songs were written by outside writers, although the band wrote most of the b-sides for the records. Oddly enough, the songs they did write, before 1966, were credited under one of several pseudonyms, making it appear as if they couldn’t write their own music.
Perhaps one of the Hollies’ best-known songs, and an instant classic, was a great departure from their previous music. Mistaken for a Creedence Clearwater Revival Song, for good reason, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, was written by the group in a matter of minutes during a bar-room brawl.
Bus Stop – The Hollies Beginning Lyrics
Bus stop, wet day, she’s there, I say
Please share my umbrella
Bus stop, bus goes, she stays, love grows
Under my umbrella
Listen to Bus Stop by The Hollies
This is the original mono mix from the original 1966 U.K. 45 record.
More 1960s Music
- Who Did Unchained Melody First Before The Righteous Brothers?
- Did the Kinks Invent Guitar Distortion with You Really Got Me?
- Who Did Going Up the Country First Before Canned Heat?
- Who Did House of the Rising Sun First Before the Animals?
- Who Did ‘Babe I’m Gonna Leave You’ First Before Led Zeppelin?
More Rock Music
- Really Love Your Peaches, Wanna Shake Your Tree – The True Origin?
- Who Played the Guitar Solo on Eat It by Weird Al Yankovic?
- American Girl Lyrics Meaning – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Who Did the Song “I Love Rock n’ Roll” First Before Joan Jett?
- Meaning of Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes